Moroccan Spiced Roasted Chicken

The mad rush of packing has commenced.  I think S has thought we have more stuff than we actually do.  We have gotten rid of a lot of stuff since we've been here.  I hope to get more stuff gone tomorrow when I bake some stuff up to use the chocolate chips I found.  I have cookies in mind, some muffins maybe, some quick bread.  Cupcakes?  Who knows.  Something.

It's REALLY uninspiring when your house looks like this:


This pile will probably double once we pack up the kitchen.  S was surprised when we moved last time.  The number of boxes for kitchen stuff FAR outweighed the number of boxes for other stuff in the house.  I *AM* a true kitchen hoor.  He believes that now.

He says to me yesterday:
S: We should pack up the kitchen now and then eat out the rest of the time.
Me: *freaking out inside*  Um...that's a LOT of eating out.  I don't want to do that.
S: Well, we don't have to eat OUT out.  We can do salad bars at Ruby's.
Me: We can stop at Giant for roasted chicken and sides, too.
S: We'd have nothing to eat it on.
Me: Um...paper plates?

Thankfully, we agreed to pack up the kitchen NEXT weekend and then eat out the last week of April.  We'll have to get some dehydrated meals for our camping trip.  Yes, we're packing to move 30th - 1st and then we head to PA for a car camping/hiking trip in PA 3rd - 5th.  Yeah.  I know.  Poor planning.  *snort*

This week is about freezer cooking.  I'm trying to use up what's in the freezer, pantry and fridge so we don't have a lot of food to pack and move.  Granted, it's not like we're moving that far.  It's just having to carry it down the stairs and then back up stairs that doesn't thrill me.  My knees suck.  My back sucks.  It just sucks.

I've had this on the menu for a few weeks already, but just kept forgetting to take the chicken out of the freezer to make.  Something about it taking a few days for a whole chicken to thaw out that I keep forgetting about.  I'm good at doing it either that day or the night before, but if it does require it to take more than one, my brain fails.

I sort of thought about this when I was on my rub kick.  Then I saw that My Spice Sage had an Arabic blend of spices and I really wanted to put this together.

Preheat oven to 350.



Toast cinnamon, ginger, cumin seeds, allspice, and coriander seeds in a pan over medium-high heat or until fragrant.  I like to mix both types of cinnamon.  Vietnamese is hard and the Ceylon is soft.  They both have different cinnamon qualities that I enjoy, so I usually mix them together for all types of cooking.  If you don't have cinnamon sticks, then add the ground cinnamon with the paprika.  Same with the dried ginger.  Once toasted and fragrant, grind in a spice grinder (or coffee grinder) until finely ground.


Put the spice mixture in a small bowl and add extra virgin olive oil.  Stir to combine.


Prepare chicken for roasting.  Coat the chicken with the spice mixture.  Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until a thermometer reaches 165-170 F.


I have a convection oven that has a rotisserie feature.  So, I prepare the chicken on the spit, then I coat in the spice mixture.


I try to make sure that it's even and doesn't instantly rotate to the breast side.  This is not an easy task.  It's all in the placement of the spit holder.  It's a technique I've tried to master over the years.  However, I LOVE my convection oven with rotisserie feature.  It makes THE BEST and moistest chicken.

I was a bit...um...tipsy when I took the photo?  So, it's not the greatest one there is, nor even remotely good.  *snort*  That's what happens when I cook and drink.  It's a breast quarter with the wing, for those who can't figure it out.


Moroccan Spiced Roasted Chicken

Recipe by A Kitchen Hoor (@flowerfroggirl)





Yield: 4
Ingredients
  • 1/2 inch piece Vietnamese cinnamon
  • 1/2 inch piece Ceylon cinnamon
  • 1/2 inch piece dried ginger
  • 1 T cumin seeds
  • 2 T whole allspice
  • 2 T coriander seeds
  • 2 T sweet paprika
  • 1 T extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 pound roasting chicken
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Toast cinnamon, ginger, cumin seeds, allspice, and coriander seeds in a pan over medium-high heat or until fragrant.
  3. Put paprika and toasted spices in a spice grinder and grind into a powder.
  4. Place spice mixture in a small mixing bowl and add olive oil. Stir until combined.
  5. Prep chicken for roasting. Cover chicken with spice mixture and bake in oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until thermometer registers 165-170. Allow to rest for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.





You have just read the article entitled Moroccan Spiced Roasted Chicken. Please read the article from Rice Pot 89 About , , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : https://ricepot89.blogspot.com/2013/04/moroccan-spiced-roasted-chicken.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Rice Pot 89