KISS Au Gratin Potatoes

What is it about that ham that almost requires either scalloped potatoes or Au gratin potatoes?  It's my go to with ham.  I don't know why.  It just is.  I can't think of any other starch to have with ham.  There's no gravy so that it doesn't warrant mashed potatoes.  Rice?  Yeah, just doesn't seem right.  Boiled potatoes?  Maybe.  Pasta?  Not really.  Au gratin?  YES!  Thank you!

*I* am all about the easy...for the most part.  There's rarely a dish that I plan to make that's ginormously elaborate.  I just like to keep it simple with excellent flavors.  Even my lasagna is pretty easy.  So, when it comes to Au gratin potatoes, I kiss (keep it simple, silly).

Now, the only reason this is SUPER simple is because I own a mandolin.  I can't imagine how I functioned without it.  There was a WEALTH of recipes I didn't even TRY because I didn't have one.  Please.  Do yourself a favor and splurge on one.  You WILL NOT regret it!  Fries?  Yup!  Chips?  Yup!  Waffle fries?  YUP!  Ratatouille?  Easy!  It will even do shoestring...anything!  Potatoes, carrots, zucchini, eggplant.  You name it!!  I honestly cannot imagine life without one now that I have one.  Apples!!  Pears, peaches...then dry them in the oven.  It's.  That.  Easy.  Okay...sales pitch over.

Do you know the difference between scalloped and Au gratin?  I honestly didn't know.  I had to look it up.  I always thought they were interchangeable, but somehow, deep down, I know that wasn't REALLY the case.  So, scalloped is just with milk and Au gratin is with cheese.  But this Au gratin is scalloped Au gratin?  Has milk and cheese?  *shrugs*  Who knows!  All I know is they're yummy.

Peel about 4 medium potatoes and sliced 1/8 inch thick with the mandolin.


Shred the cheese.  Now, here's the interesting part.  peel one clove of garlic and rub the pan with it.  I didn't believe at first that the flavor would transfer, but it does.


Coat the casserole dish with cooking spray then place one layer of potatoes in the bottom of the dish.  Sprinkle freshly grated nutmeg, salt and pepper on top of the potatoes.



Then cover with cheese.


Repeat these layers twice more.  Place 1 cup of milk in a small saucepan and scald.


When tiny bubbles begin to form around the edges of the pan, remove from heat and pour over the potatoes.


Bake at 425 for 45-50 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender and the cheese is brown and bubble.


Looks DE-lish doesn't??  You have to allow them to cool about 10 minutes before you serve them.  This allows the milk time to cool and the potatoes to absorb just a little more milk.



KISS Au Gratin Potatoes

Recipe by A Kitchen Hoor (@flowerfroggirl)

 

Ingredients
  • 4 medium potatoes
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 c milk
  • 1 1/2 c Gruyere cheese, shredded
  • Dash freshly ground nutmeg
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425.
  2. Peel potatoes. Using a mandolin, thinly slice potatoes 1/8 inch thick.
  3. Peel garlic and rub casserole dish with the garlic clove then coat with cooking spray. Spread a single layer of potatoes on bottom of casserole dish. Top potatoes with a light dusting of freshly ground nutmeg, salt and pepper. Top with 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layers one more time ending with last of cheese.
  4. in a small saucepan, scald milk until bubbly. Pour milk over the potatoes.
  5. Bake in a 425 oven for 45-50 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender and the cheese is browned.
  6. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
You have just read the article entitled KISS Au Gratin Potatoes. Please read the article from Rice Pot 89 About , , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : https://ricepot89.blogspot.com/2013/04/kiss-au-gratin-potatoes.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Rice Pot 89