Turkey Meatball Subs

For some reason, I've never been a fan of or had many meatball subs in my life.  I'm not exactly sure why...well that's not entirely true.  I remember my parents trying to feed me one when I was a kid and I just wasn't having any of it.  It just didn't taste right.  I don't know.  I just didn't want it?  *shrugs*  I think at some point I did toss some cookies but my memory has always been short lived.

It doesn't really surprise me.  I wasn't a very adventurous eater when I was a kid.  I know.  Surprising.  But, kudos to my parents for making me try everything at least once before deciding whether I like it or not.  I mean, for YEARS I would only eat moo goo gai pan.  Now, I run the gamut of Americanized Asian food.  LOL

As for authentic, not so much.  Something about chicken feet that I just can't seem to get into or even consider putting into my mouth.  And if I hear someone else say, "But you haven't tried MY salmon" I think ima jump off a culinary cliff.  No.  I.DO.NOT.LIKE.SALMON!  No matter how you cook it, prep it, season it, it tastes like metal in my mouth and I don't like it.  Salmon, asparagus, cilantro and seaweed wrappers for sushi are things that DO NOT cross these lips.  Just saying...

What was I talking about?  Oh yeah!  Meatballs...  So, I haven't had many meatball sammies in my day.  That may change.  I LOVED these meatballs so consequently, I LOVED these meatballs sandwiches.


I thought they were mighty tasty.  I ate some.  S ate some.  I ate a few more, and then the rest went into the freezer.  Until yesterday.  Initially, I had them slated for consumption by S while I was in Bogota, but that didn't happen.  They made an appearance, and disappearance, on this week's menu.

I took them out of the freezer, tossed them in the slow cooker with a jar of light pasta sauce and then set the timer on the slow cooker to kick on about an hour before we were scheduled to get home.  Since they were in the sauce all day, they thawed in it then reheated in it when the cooker came on.

No.  Only my rice cooker is expensively fancy.  The slow cooker has a vacation timer attached to it so that I can schedule it to kick on when I want it.  I got so tired of everyone being charred around the edges because I had to turn it on before I left and didn't get home until almost 12 hours later.  And it's one of the MONGO HUGE ones, so meals just for the two of us are swimming in the cooker.  I got a vacation timer to help prevent all that burned or charred nonsense.  And it works perfectly!

I took the meatballs, put them on sub rolls, topped with slices of part skim mozzarella cheese and reheated them under the broiler....to look like this:


I put some spray butter on the top of the bun so it wouldn't get all dried and hard.  I was hoping it would toast a little bit.  And it did.  When we make sammies for dinner, we usually have Ore Ida Easy Fries with them.  S said, "You're not gonna let them know we use microwave fries are you?"  *snort*  Um...already have?  And in all the times I've made them, I've NEVAH seen the box do this:


It reminded me of shrinky dinks.  LOL  I can't say enough how much I love these fires.  They are perfect for a weeknight sammy meal.  4 minutes and you have healthy-ish, crispy fries that are YUM-MY!

So, dinner looked like this:


I think I'm forever changed on the whole meatball sandwich thing.  I devoured this.  Oh, and yes we did have a nice side salad, thank you for asking where the veggies were.  The meatballs were still flavorful and fabulous.  I am positive that I will be making that recipe again.  And maybe soon...


Turkey Meatball Subs






Ingredients
Cooking Directions
  1. Prepare the meatball recipe according to cooking directions.
  2. Simmer in spaghetti sauce for 30 minutes.
  3. Top each hoagie roll with 4 meatballs, 2 slices of cheese, and 1/4 cup of spaghetti sauce.
  4. Broil until the cheese is brown and bubbly.
  5. Serve with Ore Ida Easy Fries.




You have just read the article entitled Turkey Meatball Subs. Please read the article from Rice Pot 89 About , , , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : https://ricepot89.blogspot.com/2013/03/turkey-meatball-subs.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Rice Pot 89