Roasting Your Brussels Sprouts! If you haven't...DO!

I honestly think this it THE BEST way to eat these little buggers.  To me, they're like mini cabbages.  Roasting brings out the sweetness and lessens the bitterness of the sprouts.  Most people just DO NOT like the taste.  I've made Brussels sprouts for S before, but he didn't really like eating them until I roasted fresh ones.

Now, I've tried roasting frozen ones.  Yeah, not the same.  You have to get fresh ones, which for this area isn't all that cheap.  I splurged on a bag from BJs...like two weeks ago.  They last a while in the fridge.  Just saying.  Since I had planned on the parsnips, but used them elsewhere, they were a pleasant surprise to see in the back of the fridge. 

I chop the stem ends off and then chop them in half.  Sometimes are are tiny ones that I don't cut in half.  Some are GIGANTUAN and I wind up quartering those.


Then I remove the outer leaves or any sections that have blemishes.  Aren't they pretty?  They really do look like mini cabbages to me.  When you're done you're left with this mess in the sink. 



I think we have the oldest garbage disposal of ALL TIME.  It doesn't appreciate being used and is just a fickle little.... um... well.... you know what.  A pile of stuff like this?  FOREGTABOUTIT!  This and potato peels.  They just clog it right up!  It's very frustrating....

Oh, so I tossed the sprouts with some extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.  I covered a baking sheet with aluminum foil coated with cooking spray and spread the sprouts out in a single layer on the baking sheet.


I had the oven heated to 425.  Be careful!  If you get busy and forget about them, they're not forgiving like potatoes or carrots.  Those delicate little leaves burn FAST!  Thankfully, I like them a little extra crispy sometimes.  I check them after about 15 minute or so, give them a good stir, then adjust my remaining cooking time accordingly.


When they come out of the oven, I want to faceplant in the baking dish.  I have a hard time NOT nibbling on that golden green goodness while I'm finishing up dinner.  I think I ate 10 or 12 5 or 6 while finishing up the chops.  They were even tasty the next day for lunch.  I was more interested in the sprouts and noodles for lunch than the chops.  Not to say the chops are yummy!  They are!!  Some times something just appeals to me more than others and the noodles and sprouts were on my taste buds more for lunch.  I'd have these gems every week if I could.

So, if you haven't had roasted your sprouts, I would HIGHLY suggest doing so.  It changes the flavor and makes them irresistible!



Roasted Brussels Sprouts





Ingredients
  • 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 T extra virgin olive oil
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425.
  2. Trim the stem ends from the sprouts and slice in half lengthwise. Remove any leaves with blemishes.
  3. Toss with the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Coat a baking sheet with aluminum foil coated with cooking spray. Spread the sprouts in a single layer on the baking sheet.
  5. Bake at 425 for 20-30 minutes or until tender.



You have just read the article entitled Roasting Your Brussels Sprouts! If you haven't...DO!. Please read the article from Rice Pot 89 About , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : https://ricepot89.blogspot.com/2013/03/roasting-your-brussels-sprouts-if-you.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Rice Pot 89