Slow Cooking Bandwagon Guinness Beef Stew

I am jumping on the bandwagon on this one.  Actually, I was going to make one next week, but decided to step it up when we already had some chicken this week.  I had another stew type thingy planned with chicken, but as much planning as I do, sometimes I just toss up the recipes for a bit and make something on a different day.  In this case, I made something not even on the menu.  Go figure.  I just roll like that sometimes.

So, I took out some stew meat (and some sirloin, but wounded up not using) for a nice stew with some Guinness I bought to cook with.  I couldn't find a single bottle for sale, so I had to buy a four pack.  I'm not a huge fan of drinking that beer as beer.  I'd rather cook with it than drink it.  I'm a light beer drinker.

Since I started seeing all these blog posts about beer beef stew, I figured I'd hop scotch my cooking and throw my recipe in the mix.  It's yummy, and pretty darn easy if ya ask me!  You didn't?  Oh...okay.  Too bad.  Ima tell ya anyway.

I threw this all together in the morning and set the slow cooker to do it's work.  Carrots, potatoes and mushrooms; chopped.


Toss the beef in the bottom of a slow cooker and top with the vegetables.




I added 12 ounces of Guinness stout, 2 1/2 cups of beef broth, 1 tablespoon of tomato paste, 1 tablespoon of rosemary, salt and pepper to taste, and 3 small bay leaves.


I have a vacation timer for my slow cooker.  I set it to start cooking on high around 1 because I knew we'd be home around 6, walk the dog, walk on the treadmill, then it would be time for dinner around 7.  Um...that didn't happen.  We did get home to eat at 7, but had to quickly walk the dog and skipped the treadmill.  Something about working late does this to us.  I added a slurry of 1 cup of water with 2 to 3 tablespoons of flour to thicken the sauce of the stew.  I let it cook on high an additional 20-30 minutes or until nice and thick.


Doesn't that just look rib sticking good?  I love the mushrooms in this recipe.  The potatoes and carrots are delicious, but I was stuck on the mushrooms.  They just absorbed all the flavors perfectly and tasted amazing!  I can't wait to make this again.  I hope it's not another year before I throw this in the slow cooker.


Slow Cooking Bandwagon Guinness Beef Stew




Ingredients
  • 3 c carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 3 c potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 2 c mushrooms, quartered
  • 1 pound beef stew meat, trimmed
  • 12 oz. Guinness beer or other stout beer
  • 2 1/2 c fat free beef broth
  • 1 T tomato paste
  • 1 T dried rosemary
  • 1 T dried thyme
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 c water
  • 2-3 T flour
Cooking Directions
  1. Peel and chop the carrots and potatoes then quarter the mushrooms.
  2. Place the stew meat in the bottom of a slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
  3. Place the vegetables on top of the meat.
  4. combine the beer, beef broth and tomato paste in a small mixing bowl. Add to slow cooker.
  5. Add the rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves, stirring to combine.
  6. Cook on high 5 to 6 hours.
  7. Combine the water and the flour. Add to the slow cooker and continue cooking an additional 30 minutes to an hour or until the broth is nice and thick.
  8. Serve immediately.



You have just read the article entitled Slow Cooking Bandwagon Guinness Beef Stew. Please read the article from Rice Pot 89 About , , , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : https://ricepot89.blogspot.com/2013/03/slow-cooking-bandwagon-guinness-beef.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Rice Pot 89