Mole Beef Soft Tacos

Hehe.  I have beer on the brain.  I initially typed Mole Beer Soft Tacos.

It's March Madness.  I LOVE Basketball, but haven't been watching as much of the big dance as I had hoped.  I've lost interest as my two teems are out.  SO that leaves me to cheer for Ohio State.  S's team.  They're currently not having a fun against Zona.  *sigh*

I had to hit IT today (in my fantasy it was up side the head.  *waves to S*).  Granted ONE issue was my sheer craptastic memory, but the other was a driver issue.  On my way there, I noticed several Emergency No Parking signs posted up the street.


Yeah...those.  I'm usually NOT that curious.  I mean, it's DC.  There's stuff taping here almost all the time.  Or at least it feels like that.  Anyway, I mentioned it to IT guy S and he Googled it.  Apparently, NBC is filming a pilot called Blacklist starring James Spader.  Really?  James Spader?  Has he been around at all recently?  The last thing I remember seeing him in was the lawyer show with William Shatner?  Boston something?  LOVED that show.  It cracked me up.  Since then, I don't think I've seen him at all.  Should be interesting.

Keep an eye out for this show.  They literally film on my street at work.  I don't think you'll see me, though.  I could see a film camera from my office window.


I didn't seen James Spader though.  I DO know of someone else very famous coming into town on Tuesday, but I can't say...yet.  :)  More on that story later.

So, I'm revisiting the braised beef from Colombia.  I was thinking it might be more of a mole style sauce.  So that's what I made. It was rather spicy though.  I'm sure it was the ancho to guajillo ratio.  I had more ancho chiles left than guajillo which I think made this spicier.  I'm adjusting my ingredients accordingly, so don't do what I did unless you like spicy.  Like mouth really hot spicy.  Sometimes I do.  Tonight was not one of those times.

Rehydrate 6 guajillo and 3 ancho peppers in boiling water overnight.  Add 2 cups of chopped tomato and 1 cup chopped red onion to the mixture.


Place the beef in the bottom of a slow cooker coated with cooking spray.  Sprinkle 1/3 cup of cocoa powder over the beef.


Add the pepper broth and stir to combine as best you can.  The cocoa powder just doesn't like blending with water, but do your best.


It DOES look like curry, doesn't it?  Add 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 1 T chili powder.  Cook on low 8 to 10 hours.



Remove the beef from the slow cooker and place in a medium bowl.


Drain the broth mixture.  Using a food processor, blend the peppers, tomatoes and onions with some broth until smooth.


Shred the beef in the bowl and add the sauce to the beef, stirring to combine.


Now, I'm not sure what it is with southwestern style dishes, but I always feel the need to have Spanish rice by Rice a Roni.


I have no idea.  It's just a requirement for the last few years.  I usually add the fire roasted tomatoes to the rice as it cooks instead of just plain canned tomatoes.  It adds a nice level of flavor to the rice blend.

I made a nice, chunky guacamole with the salt that Mom gave us: Hawaiian black salt.  It was interesting.  I'll have to read up on what makes it black.  It made my fingers black, too.


That's two bags of Matzo Crack Crunch, one back of the salt, and 2 pair of Japanese chop sticks...from Japan.

Anyway, serve the beef with either corn or flour tortillas, Spanish rice and guacamole.  Or whatever other sides you'd like to serve with the beef.





Ingredients
  • 6 dried guajillo peppers
  • 3 dried ancho peppers
  • 4 c boilg water
  • 1 c red onion, chopped
  • 2 c tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 t ground cumin
  • 1 T chili powder
  • 1 pound sirloin, trimmed
  • 1/3 c cocoa powder
  • 16 corn or flour tortillas, warmed
Cooking Directions
  1. Cut tops off the peppers and remove as many seeds as possible.
  2. Toast until warm in a dry pan heated over medium-high heat. Remove to a bowl and add boiling water.
  3. Allow to steep 1 hour to overnight.
  4. Add tomatoes and onions to the broth mixture.
  5. Place beef in bottom of a slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
  6. Sprinkle cocoa powder on top of meat.
  7. Pour pepper mixture over beef and stir till combined.
  8. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours or until fork tender.
  9. Remove beef from slow cooker and shred.
  10. Drain the broth and blend the solids to a paste.
  11. Toss sauce with shredded beef in a mixing bowl.
  12. Serve with warm tortillas.
You have just read the article entitled Mole Beef Soft Tacos. Please read the article from Rice Pot 89 About , , , , , , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : https://ricepot89.blogspot.com/2013/03/mole-beef-soft-tacos.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Rice Pot 89