Blueberry Lemon Scones

We don't get a lot of "junk" mail.  We get the occasional local type flyers and maybe a menu or two, but other than that not much "junk" comes into the household.  Now, the non junk junk is what I look forward to every month.  There are 2 or 3 catalogs that I honestly look forward to receiving.  King Arthur Flour being one of them.  I sit and go through the whole thing, cover to cover.  Sometimes I circled the things I want...but seriously...I want everything in that catalog.  From the chocolates, to the fruit nibs, to all the flours and baking products.  I could do some SERIOUSLY damage to that place!  It really makes me want to take a class in baking artisan breads.

I always drool over the scone sections.  Those little scone pans are just adorable and would be so handy, but there's no way S would let me even consider bringing another kitchen gadget into the house when we're getting ready to downsize.  They're already chocked full of my baking paraphernalia.  LOL  And don't get me started on all the mixes!  I DO dog ear the recipes I want to pin for later.  No.  No I don't have a life outside of my kitchen and this little invisi-world.

So, while dreaming of scone pans and caramel nibs, I made this recipe in a vane attempt to use up some baking materials before the move.

I grabbed some unbleached white flour and some whole wheat pastry flour.  I added salt and baking powder  to the dry mix.


In a separate bowl I combined some sour cream (I was out of yogurt), egg substitute, vanilla extract, lemon zest and sugar together until creamy.  Is it just me?  Or do the rest of you lump your sugars in with your wet ingredients?  Something about an episode of Alton Brown and quick breads that got me started combining my sugars with the wet ingredients.  *shrugs*  I can't remember why though...

I tossed the dried blueberries with some of the flour in a small bowl.  I had the candied fruit ones, but that didn't seem like enough, so I bought the GV ones to supplement.


Using a pastry blender, I added 6 tablespoons of chilled ICBINB to the flour mixture; blending until a coarse meal forms.  Then I made a well in the center of the flour mixture and added the wet ingredients.



Stirring until just combined, I let them set a few minutes while I got my rolling mat out, turned the oven on to 350, and grabbed the pizza cutter.  I turned the dough out onto the floured rolling mat and divided it into two balls.  I pressed each ball out and then rolled it a little until it was about 8 inches in diameter.  Then, using the pizza cutter, I cut them into 8 wedges.


Yeah...they're hand rolled.  LOL  I'm thinking the whole dried blueberries weren't such a good idea at this point.  I didn't want to press too hard and completely decimate my filling mat, but the cutter just wasn't cutting it.  *snort*  Get it?  Cutter wasn't cutting it?  I know.  I'm a dork.

I put the wedges on a silicone baking mat in a jelly roll pan and baked them for about 18-20 minutes or until slightly browned.  Taking them out of the oven, I allowed them to cool for about 5 minutes on the pan and then moved them to a rack to cool the rest of the way.


I had intended to make lemon curd, but got lazy.  And, being as I'm not a huge fan of glaze or icing, I took them to work as is.  They'd be really good with some marmalade, curd, reheated slightly with some butter um...however you want to eat them.

I was thinking they'd have more lemon flavor.  I mean, I really wanted them to be REALLY lemony.  I'd double the amount of zest from what I initially put in.  I mean, I was really hoping to taste A LOT of lemon.  Like a lot A LOT!  But that's just me.  Everyone who had them at work today, said they were really good!

I think the only thing that's really left in the baking pantry pertains to cookie type baking.  Maybe some bread type baking, but I have a lot of mix ins for cookies.  Hm...mix ins for scones?  Mix ins for cupcakes?  Brownies?  Nah...not brownies.  Cookies definitely.  Scones maybe.  Cupcakes probably.  If S is still sick this weekend and we don't have for Our Adventures Outdoors, then I will definitely be going through boxes and whipping up something else that's mighty tasty to take in to work.




Blueberry Lemon Scones



Ingredients
  • 2 c unbleached flour
  • 1 c whole wheat pastry flour
  • 4 t baking soda
  • 1 t salt
  • 1 c dried blueberries
  • 6 T margarine or butter, chilled and diced
  • 3/4 c nonfat sour cream
  • 1/4 c egg substitute (or 1 large egg)
  • 2 t lemon zest
  • 1/2 c sugar
Cooking Directions
  1. Combine flours, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Remove 1/8 cup of the flour mixture and toss with 1 cup of dried blueberries.
  2. Cut the 6 tablespoons of margarine or butter into flour mixture until it resembles a coarse meal. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the dried blueberry mixture.
  3. Combine sour cream, egg substitute, lemon zest, and sugar in a small mixing bowl.
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
  5. Turn out onto a floured surface. Roll or pat the dough into either a round for 8 scones or a rectangle for 16 scones and cut with a knife or pizza cutter.
  6. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray or covered with a silicone baking mat and bake 13-15 minutes or until golden.              

You have just read the article entitled Blueberry Lemon Scones. Please read the article from Rice Pot 89 About , , , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : https://ricepot89.blogspot.com/2013/03/blueberry-lemon-scones.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Rice Pot 89