Spiked! Recipe Challenge Spiced Rum Fruitcake Doughnuts

Yup!  It's that time again!  Time for the Spiked! Recipe Challenge.  I LOVE this challenge, because it gives me an excuse to make tasty nibbles like this one!


A Kitchen Hoor | Spiked! Recipe Challenge Spiced Rum Fruitcake Doughnuts

You see, when Mom moved off the main land, she gave me her steamed pudding mold.  This meant that I was seriously going to make our Christmas pudding for the holidays this year.  I can't tell you how happy that makes me.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe!  It IS NOT low fat.  It just wouldn't be the same if I tried to make it like that, but maybe...hmm...


So, I had steamed pudding and citron on the brain.  And even more so when I bought some citron in Bosnia.  It just looked SO much better than the little cartons you can get in my area every year.  Once a year.  If you're lucky.  I've taken to purchasing a few containers every year and stashing them in the freezer.  The stores seem to not stock many of these little containers and when I go shopping for the holiday menu, they're usually sold out and I'm stuck with the stupid fruitcake fruit, which JUST isn't the same.  Yes, I'm a candied fruit snob.  *snort*
BlogButton
Since I had these things on the brain, AND since I got to come home a little early, I was able to participate in this challenge.  I didn't think I would be able to, as I was going to be in Bosnia the whole time I would be making recipes for this challenge.  Thankfully, The Fog rolled in and we high tailed it outta there before we were stuck there or forced to be driven to Zagreb, Croatia to fly out.  It's funny, as we were watching The Fog roll in at the office in Bosnia, my CW says to me, "Isn't there a movie about fog?"  Me, the ever Stephen King fan, "Yup!  It's called The Fog and has creatures that kill people in it."

A Kitchen Hoor | Spiked! Recipe Challenge Spiced Rum Fruitcake Doughnuts

My Christmas pudding is somewhat of an acquired taste. It's not for everyone and I'm sure S doesn't like it.  It doesn't taste bad, to me at least, but I grew up with it.  It has citron and candied fruit peel, which most people haven't eaten because who wants to admit that they like fruitcake?  But my Christmas pudding is a traditional English steamed pudding.  NOTHING like fruitcake.  But since S doesn't like it that means, I'll have to take it into work and let them eat the rest of it.  There's just no making half a recipe of this thing.  It wouldn't steam right unless I found a smaller mold, which I haven't seen, ever.

Yes, I know it's November, but you can't start Holiday recipe creation soon enough.  I plan on making the pudding cupcakes again or some variation there of.  Maybe a sticky toffee pudding type Christmas thing even?  *shrugs*  Like I said, it's never too early to start developing holiday recipes.  And this is my first of the 2013 season!


A Kitchen Hoor | Spiked! Recipe Challenge Spiced Rum Fruitcake Doughnuts

Since the Christmas pudding has a hard sauce, and spiced rum was the ingredient of the challenge, I took this idea and ran with it!  I morphed my Christmas pudding ingredients with doughnut style batter and added the spiced rum to both the batter and the glaze.  In fact, there's quite a bit of rum in the glaze, so you might want to serve these with some strong coffee lest you get a bit tipsy from the rum.


A Kitchen Hoor | Spiked! Recipe Challenge Spiced Rum Fruitcake Doughnuts

I LOVED these!  I could eat several, and did eat two yesterday as I was waiting for them to cool.  I love the flavor of the spiced rum with the citron and raisins mingling with the molasses and spices.  This are a unique take on fruitcake, for sure!  I hope you try them or at least think about fruitcake in a different way  now.

Enjoy!



Spiced Rum Fruitcake Doughnuts

Recipe by A Kitchen Hoor (@flowerfroggirl)
A Kitchen Hoor | Spiked! Recipe Challenge Spiced Rum Fruitcake Doughnuts






Ingredients
For the doughnuts:
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 1/2 cups cake flour
  • 1 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup citron
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup currants
  • 1/2 cup egg substitute
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup spiced rum
  • 1 teaspoon instant coffee
  • 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup spiced rum
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • Cooking Directions


    For the doughnuts:
    1. Preheat oven to 350.
    2. Combine first 12 ingredients (whole wheat pastry flour through currants) in a medium mixing bowl.
    3. Dissolve 1 teaspoon instant coffee in 1/4 cup of spiced rum.
    4. Add next 4 ingredients (egg substitute through buttermilk) and stir until combined.
    5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Rest 5 minutes.
    6. Coat a doughnut baking pan with canola oil using a paper towel. Fill the doughnut pan 3/4 full with batter and bake at 350 for 15 to 18 minutes.
    7. Remove from heat and then cool on a wire rack.
    For the glaze:
    1. Combine the powdered sugar, 1/4 spiced rum, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in a small bowl with a whisk. Dip each doughnut into the glaze and let the doughnuts sits until the glaze begins to harden slightly.
    You have just read the article entitled Spiked! Recipe Challenge Spiced Rum Fruitcake Doughnuts. Please read the article from Rice Pot 89 About , , , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : https://ricepot89.blogspot.com/2013/11/spiked-recipe-challenge-spiced-rum.html

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    Copyright © 2013. Rice Pot 89