McD's in Bosnia, Zeljanica, Sirnica, Krempita, and Shopska

I had no expectations for breakfast.  I just didn’t.  I never do.  As long as there’s cereal I’m happy.  And there was.  There were a few other interesting items, too.  There are at least 4 types of cheese: feta, smoked Gouda, mozzarella, and a spicy smoked something.  I’m not sure what type of cheese it is.

There’s some fruit.  Yeah.  No.  UBER sour grapefruit, some canned plums (?), fruit cocktail, canned pineapple, and maybe some apples maybe not.  And there’s fruit yogurt and regular, drinkable, yogurt.  It’s more like really thick buttermilk.  *shrug*

Then there are omelets with hot dog like sausage.  There’s a cheese pie (sirnica) and a spinach pie (zeljanica).  They taste better heated up, but I only had one the first day to try it.  There’s usually roasted peppers of some description and then sunny side up eggs.  Yeah.  No.


There’s coffee and tea, three kinds of cereal, dinner rolls, baklava, at least one other dessert and croissants.  There’s bowls full of butter, honey, cheese spread like those cheese wedges, some sort of chicken and duck pate in a tin, and a hazelnut spread that I think beats Nutella hands down!  No questions asked.  Yes, I’m stealing packets of that.  It’s that good.




I had something that resembled cornflakes, but weren’t cornflakes.  I can’t even explain the flavor to be honest.  It’s just…cereal.  *shrugs*
And it’s off to the office.  Not at the Embassy, though.  This program rarely if ever has an office IN the embassy.  It’s just the type of work they do.  So the research, assessment, and interviews commence.  We are doing an internal audit after recent events.

We’re all plugging away and don’t realize what time it is.  Since we have a lot of ground to cover, there’s McD’s for lunch.  I have a chicken salad.  No.  There’s no grilled chicken there.  Okay.  So, it’s fried chicken patty on really good salad fixings.  And the dressing is mighty tasty, too.  Definitely NOT the fat free or even low fat option.   
The people we're working with brought in a traditional dessert called krempita.  It's essentially puff pastry or phyllo caked and then layered with creme anglaise or a vanilla custard.  It was delicious.  I had half a piece.  That's it.  That was enough.  It was light and tasty.  It was difficult not to eat the whole box of this tasty goodness.
More work ensues.  We are making some serious headway in the research department.  We have lots of assessment and recommendations completed already.  And now it’s time to head back to the hotel and then dinner.  The four of us are pretty tired, so we opt for dinner in the hotel restaurant.
I ordered French onion soup and shopska which is a local, traditional salad that’s fabulous.  The French onion soup was different.  It was vegetable broth based.  The onions aren’t caramelized, but lightly sauteed in butter.  They’re SUPER sweet.  It was good.  It was better than I thought.  I ordered a few times, actually.  But I’ll get to that. 

The salad.  That was excellent!  Fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and tender cabbage topped with a light dressing and fresh feta.  YUM!  I’ve had that a few times, too.  It’s apparently in almost every restaurant in the Balkans.  It’s fresh, tasty, and filling!  I will be remaking this when I get home, that’s for sure!  This and some cevapi.  We’ll get to that later.

We talked and talked and talked and talked.  Then there was dessert.  I had the baklava.  I can’t help it.  I LOVE baklava.  The crispy phyllo, sweet honey syrup and crunchy nuts.  YUM!  How can you NOT love baklava?  I guess if you don’t like phyllo you’re screwed.

I was tired and we talked some more.  Granted, it was really interesting and funny conversation.  What happens in Sarajevo stays in Sarajevo.  LOL!  That’s all I’m going to say.  I had hoped that I would be able to fall asleep when I got back to the room.  Nope.  I have issues sleeping by myself in bed!  I just can’t unless I’m COMPLETELY exhausted and just straight passing out.  This is something I don’t think I want to get over.  Because that means I’m missing someone.  And man am I really missing someone!
Stay tuned!  You’re not going to want to miss what happens tomorrow.
You have just read the article entitled McD's in Bosnia, Zeljanica, Sirnica, Krempita, and Shopska. Please read the article from Rice Pot 89 About , , , , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : https://ricepot89.blogspot.com/2013/11/mcd-in-bosnia-zeljanica-sirnica.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Rice Pot 89