Massalé Roasted Chicken Thighs

Somehow I have stumbled across Global Table Adventure.  How have I not found this gem of a culinary world tour before now?  This would be my DREAM job!!  Seriously.  I am always intrigued by traditional dishes from around the world.  Authentic ingredients, recipes, techniques.  The whole lot!  So when I stumbled on this blog, I was amazed, inspired, in awe.

There was a spice rub mix recently that made me look for more spice rubs.  Well, at least one that I had all the ingredients for.  S would KILL me if I bring home another spice.  We have so many as it is.

He keeps asking when I'll be using or getting rid of some of the new ones I have acquired from My Spice Sage.  Every time I order veggies for Missy, I get 1 ounce of something free.  SO, these I anticipate going into the next Foodie PenPals box.  Or at least some Food PenPals box.

But I digress...

I am excited at the thought of all the new and interesting flavors, combinations, and dishes that this blog will open up for me.  I mean, I'd have no idea about some traditional Tajikistan meals or meal etiquette.  I love the interactive map.  I could spend HOURS just reading all the difference menus, recipes, reviews.

And I could probably spend MANY posts just pouring over the photos, the writing the content.  I will seriously have to search for more blogs like this one.

So, you can imagine my delight when I found this delightful spice blend that was perfect for my chicken thighs.  I didn't want to do the typical garam masala roasted thighs.  Even though they are crack-ish in their yummy flavor when they're done.  This blend was a just a bit different.  I've altered the ingredients just slightly for my personal tastes.  I'm not a HUGE fan of all that black pepper.  And for myself, I'd double the chili powder.

Anyway, as I was toasting the spices...

S: It's a good thing you can't smell that.
Me:  Why?  Does it smell bad?
S:  No.  It's just strong.
Me:  Coriander is a strong spice and there's a lot in here.  Does it smell bad?
S:  No.  Just strong.

I COULD smell the coriander even through all the clogged loveliness that is my sinuses.  And it smelled WONDERFUL!

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add coriander, cumin, peppercorns, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon. Toast until fragrant and lightly toasted. Allow to cool.


Combine chili powder and nutmeg in a spice grinder. Add coriander seed mixture and ground until a find powder.  Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.


Combine 2 tablespoons of Massalé powder with 1 cup of nonfat yogurt and stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes up to 2 hours.


Preheat oven to 425.  Line a baking sheet and rack with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray. Place chicken thighs on the rack and bake at 425 for 40 to 45 minutes or until a thermometer registers 165. Allow to rest 5 minutes.


Serve thighs with couscous and roasted carrots.




Massalé Roasted Chicken Thighs

Recipe by A Kitchen Hoor (@flowerfroggirl)




Yield: 4

Ingredients for Massalé Rub
  • 3 tablespoons coriander seed
  • 1 tablespoon cumin seed
  • 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
  • 8 whole green cardamom pods
  • 1 teaspoon whole cloves
  • 1 small ceylon cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
  • 1 small Vietnamese cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
Remaining Ingredients:
  • 1 cup nonfat yogurt
  • 1 pound chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add coriander, cumin, peppercorns, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon. Toast until fragrant and lightly toasted. Allow to cool.
  2. Combine chili powder and nutmeg in a spice grinder. Add coriander seed mixture and ground until a find powder.  Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
  3. Combine 2 tablespoons of Massalé powder with 1 cup of nonfat yogurt and stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes up to 2 hours.
  4. Preheat oven to 425.
  5. Line a baking sheet and rack with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray. Place chicken thighs on the rack and bake at 425 for 40 to 45 minutes or until a thermometer registers 165. Allow to rest 5 minutes.
  6. Serve thighs with couscous and roasted eggplant.
You have just read the article entitled Massalé Roasted Chicken Thighs. Please read the article from Rice Pot 89 About , , , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : https://ricepot89.blogspot.com/2013/06/massale-roasted-chicken-thighs.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Rice Pot 89