#SRC Reveal - Chipotle Spaccatini

This month's #SRC I had Karen's Kitchen Stories.  I gotta say, I could have easily made 20 or 30 of the bread recipes.  Seriously.  I would LOVE to learn to bake GOOD bread at home.  Bread and macarons.

For those that don't know #SRC it stands for the Secret Recipe Club.  You sign up once a month and you are assigned to a fellow member's blog. You chose one recipe from said blog and you make it.  You can make it ver batim or you can spin it to your liking.  You post your creating on your groups reveal day and that's about it.  You can read the whole 411 here.
 
 


When I received my assignment, I had simply planned on purchasing rolls for the Chipotle Turkey Meatballs Sandwiches.  Well, they were supposed to sliders, but S isn't into those as much as I am.  He just wants a sammy.  I like the slider movement.  It's like tasty tapas sammies.  Who wouldn't love that?  I guess S doesn't.

Anyway.

Karen has a crapton of bread recipes and I'm sure I will be trying quite a few of them.  Actually, I may be setting up to make another set of rolls for Tuesday's dinner.  You'll just have to stay tuned to see what I make then!  *cliffhanger*  I will be pinning many of them after this post goes viral live at midnight.  I don't like to pin prematurely and have the person get hints as to who has their blog and what they MIGHT be making.  That happened to me once.  Once.

I formed these spicy little gems after the Spaccatini, or Little Cleft Rolls.  I was looking for a bun or roll recipe for these meatballs.  I had such a difficult time finding ONE recipe to make.  It really was a struggle.  There.are.so.many!  But when I saw these, read the ingredients, and realized how simple they would be to make for a weeknight meal, with some prep of course, I knew I had a winner!!


 

I mean, look at the crumb of these gems!  They're tasty, can be crusty if you mist the oven while cooking, and were the perfect size and taste for my meatballs.  My clefts look a little weird, but they're there.

And I really do love making sponge or biga based breads.  At some point, I will purchase a new sourdough from KAF to go in my crock.  Yup.  I killed it.  I REALLY want to get into making some sourdough breads now.  This recipe has caused me to get bitten by the artisan style bread baking.  I mean, I have some of the books to run with the big dogs, but just haven't worked through them.  The math kills me...

Since I'm about dead from our wedding trip, I'll have to leave you with this recipe.

Enjoy!

Chipotle Spaccatini - Little Cleft Rolls
Recipe by A Kitchen Hoor (@flowerfroggirl)


 

Ingredients

For Biga:
  • 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water, filtered (95-105 degrees)
  • 3/4 cup room temperature water, filtered
  • 330 grams unbleached, all-purpose flour
For Rolls:
  • 3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water (95-105)
  • one recipe biga
  • 250 grams unbleached, all-purpose flour
  • 2 whole chipotles in adobo, minced
  • 1 teaspoon red sea salt
Cooking Directions

For the Biga:
  1. Combine the yeast with the warm water in a medium mixing bowl. Stir to combined. Let stand 5 minutes or until frothy.
  2. Add the room temperature water and flour. Stir with a dough whisk or a wooden spoon for 3 to 4 minutes.
  3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to set at room temperature overnight. If not using within 24 hours, cover and refrigerate after 24 hours.
For the rolls:
  1. Combine 3/4 teaspoon and 1/2 cup water in the bowl of a stand mixer and let stand until frothy; about 5 minutes.
  2. Add all of the biga and stir until combined. If necessary, use your hands to break up the biga to get it to incorporate with the slurry.
  3. Add the 250 grams flour, chipotles, and salt. Using the paddle attachment, mix until combined and the dough begins to form.
  4. Switch to the dough hook coated with cooking spray and knead about 2 minutes on low speed and then 1 minute on medium speed.
  5. Place the dough in a proofing bowl or large mixing bowl with coated cooking spray and allow to rise 1 to 2 hours or until doubled in size.
  6. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and divide into 16 balls.
  7. Press a flour handle of a wooden spoon into the center of the buns to form the cleft. Place cleft side down onto a baking sheet coated with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and allow the buns to rise until doubled; about an hour.
  8. Preheat oven to 425.
  9. Turn the buns over and press the wooden spoon handle into the cleft again. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a light golden brown. For a more crisp crust, you can spray the oven with water a few times during the cooking.
  10. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before slicing and stuffing with Chipotle Turkey Meatballs.

The Secret Recipe Club
You have just read the article entitled #SRC Reveal - Chipotle Spaccatini. Please read the article from Rice Pot 89 About , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : https://ricepot89.blogspot.com/2013/10/src-reveal-chipotle-spaccatini.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Rice Pot 89