Low Fat Peanut Butter Cheesecake

So, I bought some natural peanut butter for these cookies.  Which I haven't made yet.  *snort*  BUT, I did plan on making another cheesecake and thought that I'd try another peanut butter one.  Cause you can't have too much peanut butter in your life.  At least that's my philosophy.  And yes...yes I did lick the spoon.

So, I started with the same base that I have used previously:

1 c yogurt cheese
1 c drained yogurt, nonfat or low fat
Blend both in the bowl of a food processor.  However, I must have drained them a little TOO much as my processor wasn't processing.  So I added 1/4 cup of egg substitute to the mix to add some liquid for it to process better.


then I combined 16 ounces of low fat cream cheese (Neufchatel) with 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar until smooth.  I added the peanut butter and processing until smooth again.  Similar to the method of adding some of the whipped egg whites to lighten the batter, I add about 1/3 of the cottage cheese mixture to the cream cheese mixture to lighten it up and then add the remaining cottage cheese mixture.

In went 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1/2 cup of egg substitute, and 1 cup of dark chocolate chips.  OH!  The crust!  It's a standard lowfat, graham cracker crust; approximately 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs and 2 tablespoons of melted butter or margarine.  Press into an 8" spring form pan and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.  Allow to cool completely before adding the batter to the pan.  Make sure to spray the sides of the pan with cooking spray before pouring the batter into the pan.


Now, with this cheesecake, I already had the oven going at 350 for an orange and chipotle roasted chicken. More on that later.  Wait, I think I've said that before.  Hmm....  I also had a pan of honey butter carrots roasting.  I'm sure it wasn't the best of situations for the cheesecake, but whatever it was it worked!

I carefully poured the batter into the crust and spring form pan, and put that pan on a baking sheet into the oven.  It cooked for about 30 minutes the first time.  It was still rather jiggly in the center.  I rotated the cheesecake and baked it for an additional 15 minutes.

So, there was a little crackage that happened, but nothing compared to the craters that I've experienced before.  I'm honestly thinking that slow and steady is going to win this cheesecake race in this sad excuse for an oven.  *sigh*

It had about a 3" radius in the center the jiggled, so I knew it was perfect to take out the oven at this point.  I allowed it to cool to room temperature, and then put it in the fridge to chill for at least 3 hours to overnight.  We had it for dessert the following night as there was still birthday cake left for one more night.

I would go for mini chips.  The larger chips were just too big.  Or I'd chop them a bit before putting them in the cheesecake.  Never the less, it was delicious!


Low Fat Peanut Butter Cheesecake
Ingredients
  • 16 oz yogurt, nonfat
  • 16 oz cottage cheese, low fat
  • 16 oz cream cheese, low fat
  • 1 1/2 c sugar
  • 3/4 c egg substitute
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1 c chocolate chips
  • 1 c graham cracker crumbs
  • 2 T margarine or butter, melted
Cooking Directions
  1. For crust:
  2. Preheat oven to 350.
  3. Combine the cookie crumbs and melted margarine until a coarse meal forms. Wrap the bottom of an 8 inch springform baking pan in aluminum foil and press cookie crumb mixture into bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides. Bake in 350 oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
  4. For the filling:
  5. Put the yogurt in a strainer lined with cheesecloth, coffee filters, or paper towels and allow to drain for 10 hours. Drain the cottage cheese in the same manner for 30 minutes to an hour.
  6. Combine both in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth adding 1/4 cup of egg substitute as needed to make processing easier.
  7. Cream the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of egg substitute and 1/3 of the cottage cheese mixture. Beat until smooth then add remaining cottage cheese mixture, 1/2 cup of egg substitute, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Beat until smooth. Add 1 cup of chocolate chips and stir with a spoon until well blended.
  8. Spray sides of the pan with cooking spray and pour the batter into the pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Turn pan and bake an additional 15 -20 minutes or until barely set in the middle.
  9. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature. Cover the pan with foil and refrigerate 3 hours or over night.


    Weekend Kitchen Link Party
    You have just read the article entitled Low Fat Peanut Butter Cheesecake. Please read the article from Rice Pot 89 About more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : https://ricepot89.blogspot.com/2013/02/low-fat-peanut-butter-cheesecake.html

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    Copyright © 2013. Rice Pot 89